Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Thrillville is Gone.


Just read a story on the Statesman Journal site about Thrillville going down the tubes and representing a, "simpler bygone era." I'm sorry, the place was creepy to us newcomers. It looked old and out of place and to me, it reeked of something that went out of business 30 years ago. Anyway, here's my comment from the article:

"At the risk of being run out of town on a tilt-o-whirl, "Thrillville" gave me the heebie jeebies. It reminded me of old rundown haunts of mine back in Texas like "Snake Farm" and "Wonder Cave." Frankly, I'm not surprised it's gone. If you are going to survive in an ever changing market place, you got to change a little with the times - or maybe just some fresh paint and a good sign. The Oregon Gardens finally wised up and hopefully not too late, when they decided that their entrance needed more pizzazz."

1 comment:

Salem Man said...

Right on Tex,
I remember visiting Salem for the first time, arriving from the south on I5 and seeing that "amusement park" next to the freeway. It looked like a permanent home for carnival rides. Amazingly, with two kids I've never visited Thrill Ville but, we've been to Enchanted Forest at least a dozen times. We have the State Fair here in Salem and that's enough gravitron for me. The state ought to buy that coaster and reassemble it at the fairgrounds.