Friday, May 23, 2008

Of Refried Beans and Slimey Rellenos


The missus and I decided to dine at the local Mexican Restaurant, “Los Dos Amigos” here in Salem last night. The fridge was empty and I had a hankering for some Mexican food.

First let me explain what Salem Mexican food is not. It is not spicy. It does not even remotely resemble the Tex-Mex food I dined on with drooling lips back when I was living in the Motherland.

The hot sauce is more like spicy V-8 that trickles off your chip and on to your shirt as you try to put it in your mouth as quickly as possible.

The beloved Chile Relleno of my Texas memory is only that. A memory. What I get here in the great Pacific Northwest is a large squishy omelet with a pepper and very little cheese inside.

But you know what the truly sad thing is? It’s all starting to taste normal to me.

At least I am aware that it isn’t normal. At least I’ll be able to return to Texas to visit soon and cleanse my now Oregonian-like palate with a huge plate of greasy refried beans, rice and tamales and real hot sauce.

The memories come flooding back. Remember Herbert’s Taco Hut in San Marcos? The hot sauce was so hot that it burned a hole straight through my plate?

Heck, even Taco Cabana would be a sight for sore eyes right about now!

2 comments:

Ken Gardner said...

Hey Mr. Ambassador,
I couldn't agree more about the blandness that is Oregon...I could devour some Trudy's stuffed avocado about right now, while washing it all down with a refreshing mexican martini.

Oh the memories :)

Texas Ambassador said...

You said the "T" word! Now you've gone and made me homesick for Trudy's...and Mexican martini's. ;)