Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos


With all the sunshine that's been flooding the Willamette Valley over the last few weeks, it's got me dreaming about Texas which has got me dreaming about Tex-Mex food and music.

The Texas Tornados has been on my personal jukebox for days now. I just can't get enough of those guys' music. Nice guys to boot. I've met Augie, Doug and caught Flaco Jimenez playing down at Waterloo Records down in Austin years back for a CD release party.

Back to Tex-Mex food: I found a great Tex-Mex cookbook at Borders Bookstore on Lancaster the other night. It came out in 2006 (where was I?) and it is plum full of great photos, history and more importantly, good Tex-Mex recipes.

Written by Rob Walsh, "The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos" is super and highly recommend it to all my native Texan friends and Texan wannabe's here in Salem.

Say, when is someone going to put in a Tex-Mex restaurant here in Salem?

3 comments:

Salem Man said...

Buster's has salsa on the salad bar. Does that count as Tex Mex?

Texas Ambassador said...

Thanks kindly Salem Man for your observation and question.

While salsa in itself can be Tex-Mex, salsa as we find it here in Salem is more akin to spicy V8 juice than anything else.

The fact that Bubba's has salsa at least puts it in the right neighborhood, seein' as Buster's is owned by a couple of San Antonions.

I will head there directly, sample the aforementioned salsa and report back.

Momma Juana said...

What is it about Texas that gets in to people so permanently? (Rhetorical question - I've lived on the East Coast and West Coast, came back to Texas to raise my family and I too, cried as we crossed the border. My folks stayed in Virigina after moving there for jobs in DC, but 40+ years later still think of themselves as Texans.) You might like the homesicktexan.com site.

Two members of our family have debuted CD's at Stubbs (Reckless Kelly and Spin Alley - TOTALLY different music, but it is Stubbs!)

Hope you can aget back to visit often!